
The story I wrote about local food (it ran today) is the story I have felt the best about. Not because I think it's a particularly gripping story. That's not the triumphant feeling. It was the research and the people and the food and the pictures I got to take and then I very casually and happily sat down to write it last night. It was in "Ready-to-Edit" mode by 8:30, photos were uploaded, edited and captioned. I left the office, took a bath, and went to bed.
And I got three lovely tomatoes out of it. I went and talked to Fred Johnson on his farm yesterday. As we went around talking and looking at plants, he would pull at leaves or produce: "Here, try this. Eat this. Do you taste that subtle sweetness? How about now? Here, eat this." Beautiful.
And except for the glaring copy error in the third paragraph, it went to print unchanged. SUCCESS! No editorial markings. The full truth. I feel victorious over The Man, even though The Man is a reasonable, kind person who is willing to talk out editorial decisions.
Now, if you're reading this (you are the resistance, etc), you should also catch up on THIS CRAZY STUFF. Deeda and Cassandra are working themselves boneless with this story. It's huge. I'll try to hunt down the past stories...it's only just started being published.
No comments:
Post a Comment