Wednesday, March 31, 2010

#124: wastelands

Little more than nothing done this week. What does that mean? It means that for the last five days I've not done anything beyond work, watch "The Wire," think about life while watching "The Wire" and think about "The Wire" while I watch life, and work. Also, I've been eating ramen which means my sleep has been weird because I'm not getting nourishment and I've been exhausted during the day, but that could also be because I've been watching "The Wire." I'm currently fighting an impulse to get the second season tonight. No, Wilson. Retreat, retreat. Run from the devil. Although, if "The Wire" is the devil, he's a fine-looking evil man.

I realize my existence is in wasteland mode--although "Under Pressure" is playing right now so how bad is it all really? Not too such. I wake up a mere 15 or 20 minutes before I have to leave for work. I eat randomly throughout the day...if at all. I've stopped eating breakfast, arguably my favorite time of any day also favorite meal. The apartment wavers between tidy and disaster. I don't even speak with the kitchen anymore. When it can be civil, I'll be civil. Laundry is likewise always in flux and I since I'm throwing clothes on hastily in an effort to be out the door on time, fashion is almost non-existent not that I've ever been especially fashionable, but at least I've put some degree of thought into my appearance before.

As long as I avoid any bit of personal contact with myself, life goes quite smoothly. But then I slow down enough to realize I'm not accomplishing anything, personal growth-wise. Some of this is because I haven't had a day off in a while. We go into survival. I wish I were fine-tuned-machine enough though to have a plan to deal with this and still be human in the midst. Surely it can't be so hard.

I think one key is to get out of my creature of habit ways. Shake things up. Instead of dreading dishes all evening and guilt tripping myself into seriously considering, but ultimately not washing them...I will...find...um...a different approach.

---

While I figure that out, here's what went in today's paper:

1. This is my contribution, results of yesterday's courts: guy who's avoided justice finally gets some. You can never hide from the Batman. Right?

2. Colleague, writing on Haiti. Read it. It's good. Because, though we often forget, life goes on even after the media has stopped going all bunny-happy on a disaster event. The New York Times has had some really strong follow-up stories too.

---

Portland this weekend. I'm excited. It'll be pretty busy what with a bridal shower and meeting up with Liz for ironing out some wedding stuff and, of course, watching "SpongeBob" with the male siblings. Saturday will be my first day off in a while so I'm going to soak it all up until it comes out my eyeballs. And then I'm going to figure out a way to fit my bike into my car.

---

Proof that God exists and loves us:

1. Coffee with half+half
2. David Bowie
3. Breakfast foods
4. "The Wire" -- God loves drug dealers too. Truly. No one's perfect and technically we're not dead until we're dead.
5. Star Wars novels
6. The invention of the shower
7. Our legs are constructed so that we can sit cross-legged

1 comment:

  1. Last year we spent about four weekends in a row watching all the seasons of The Wire straight through and it felt so good to just kind of 'get it over with' so that we wouldn't be trying to constantly resist the temptation. I did look at it as productivity, every time we got through a new season, because that was one less season on my 'To watch' list :)

    ReplyDelete