Sunday, January 3, 2010

resolutions



Fitter, happier, more productive,
comfortable,
not drinking too much,
regular exercise at the gym
(3 days a week),
getting on better with your associate employee contemporaries,
at ease,
eating well
(no more microwave dinners and saturated fats),
a patient better driver,
a safer car
(baby smiling in back seat),
sleeping well
(no bad dreams),
no paranoia,
careful to all animals
(never washing spiders down the plughole),
keep in contact with old friends
(enjoy a drink now and then)


In this year of our Lord two thousand + ten, I hereby resolve to...

1. Write letters/Send postcards -- Decent communication is going a grotesque and dreary dog way down the sink so I resolve to write lots of letters. It will take time, organization, love, and energy. Nothing worth doing is done in a second though and it's good practice anyway, a break from news writing. I love mail and so do most other people.

2. Read -- I have a list somewhere. It begins with Hannah Arendt, middles with social justice/God/color theory and probably ends with some novel I've been avoiding, like "The Brothers Karamazov" or "The House of Mirth"

3. Make art on a consistent basis & Commit to finishing pieces -- It might be a good idea to set up some sort of process blog or facebook album so that I have a visual map of what I'm doing. Or maybe that will kill my soul. I don't know. Might as well try.

3a. Keep in touch with last year's art teachers, art mentors, and art friends.

4. Simplify -- I've spent the last few months paring down what I actually need. I've recycled clothes, given away shoes, stopped wearing makeup, and figured out other ways to store/build/buy/use/reuse things. I'm sure there's more I could do. We don't really need so much stuff, she said, surrounded by books and art supplies.

5. Draw up a budget and stick to it -- I'm careful with my money, but I really should lay out a budget for myself. Now that I'm entering this new phase of adulthood, I want to start saving and I want to stop worrying. Money has been a general nasty obsession in the back of my mind for several years and I'm sick of that. If I have a budget, I have pinned money down. I win I win I win.

So we'll see now. New Year is mostly an illusion of a second start, but it's nice to mark the time.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Katie,

    Budgets are a wonderful thing. My wife and I use a program called YNAB (which is an acronym for "You Need A Budget") to manage ours.

    I think there's a 7-day trial available on their website if you wanted to take it for a test drive.

    Hope you're settling into your new home well. Your blog is a pleasure to read.

    James S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, James! I'll look into it.

    I'm at my parents' house for a day or two...trying to find a new place to live up north (the apartment wasn't going to work)...so...yes. I'm sure it's all going to work out eventually.

    ReplyDelete