Today began at 5:36 a.m. when I dragged myself out of bed to check the time on my phone and figure out why I'd even woken up. From there, I stumbled into a shower and ate oatmeal and addressed the outside of letter-bearing envelopes. I was in the newsroom a little after 7:30.
9 a.m. - Meeting involving county people
12 p.m. - Meeting ended, I jogged up the hill to the newsroom and worked on the story I thought might need to run tomorrow.
12:30 - Another meeting
1:40 - Meeting ended. Another meeting.
3 p.m. - Meeting ended. Back to the newsroom. Worked on story.
3:20ish - 4:30ish - Mom calls. Her and Laura were coming up to have dinner, hang out, and bring me stuff I forgot in Portland and a space heater (merciful heavens, bringers of joy). But alas! The car, she is not working. They're in Seaside. They're taking a tow truck back to Portland, but the tow truck isn't there yet so I should come down to the pub they're stopped in front of.
4:30ish - Of course, there were more back and forth phone calls while we figured out what needed to happen, car-wise. But eventually, I closed up shop at the newsroom and headed out to Seaside. Got to hang out with them for not quite 15 minutes, during which time I was handed the soup we were going to eat together, a tulip plant, and, among other things, my piano books.
Also my sister gave me a mix CD. My sister makes the best mix CDs. She made me one for graduation last year and I listened to it all summer, almost every evening in Astoria. That CD echoed our traditional drive to camp: the fast, up beat songs for the opening highways...the more depressing, strum-strum-strumming songs for when we hit the coastal highways...then all those glad-happy, reminds you of nostalgia songs for when we reached camp.
This new one is titled "ASTORIA High Seas Adventure!" It is chiastic and represents my recent move. It begins with Beyonce's "All the Single Ladies," middles with Elliott (one "t" or two?) Smith's "Miss Misery" and ends with...I don't know what yet--I'm only at track 10, slave song from "The Prince of Egypt" ("God on high, can't you hear your people cry?")--but L. said it goes happy-->sad-->happy.
Anyway, saw them off in the tow truck. Misery.
Now I'm home and am inclined to maudlin displays, clutching dinner dishes to my heart, sobbing over the soup while it warms on the stove and, generally, being ridiculous. I'll get over it soon; I have to walk back to the newsroom anyway and edit up what I wrote so that it can be in line for tomorrow.
Two other things I'm happy about:
1. Postcard from Claire!!!!!!!!!!!!! (see above picture)
2. DEQ sent the change of address label for my driver's license so now I can get a library card. Happiness is a library card and all the books you can check out all the time.
Don't hate me, but I am going to hunt down your first article and read it.
ReplyDelete