Monday, February 1, 2010

dreams


Sad as I am to be away from my other home, I'm really very glad to be home here, bad dreams and all. Because I've been having dreams, rather bad ones. I'm not sure why. I'm not feeling especially demon-possessed these days. So let's see: Saturday night was about a murder and resulting terror and last night, as far as I can figure it out, was about pain. Then, I slept through my alarm and had another dream. This one was that I left my house and drove to the office.

Upon entering the dream newsroom, I told my editor about the county brief I was going to write up for the day's edition and to ask about an obit that had come in over the weekend. Then I sat down to my desk. It was all so like what the reality would be. Now, when I got into town last night, I stopped at the office first to check messages and email so as to be prepared for Monday. In my dream, in the time between last night and the morning, someone had been at my desk. (Someone ate from my bowl, sat in my chair, slept in my bed, etc.) They had moved my chair, pulled down the jail studies and misfiled them, and (horrors) had taken away my large and convenient computer monitor and replaced it with a small 3 inch by 3 inch TV balanced on top of a two foot stack of outdated equipment, the kind with dubious buttons and ominous flashing lights...actually, what it really looked like was a pile of old car tape decks.

For a few minutes, I thought my computer had always been that way, then, being run over by the inconveniences of the system, I realized NO! Someone had tampered with my desk area.

That's when I woke up and realized I had no idea what time it was. I had 15 minutes to get ready, which wasn't that difficult since it's about how long it takes me to get ready anyway. I had the weirdest feeling though when I basically re-enacted my entire dream over the next twenty minutes. I almost apologized to my editor for repeating myself when I went to tell him about the brief and the obit. There was a moment of blank silence as I reorganized my understanding of reality.

---

No news stories today. I wrote a brief about a county board retreat that happened on Friday. I wrote a brief about who won the Miss America pageant...I mean, scholarship program. CC Barber (whom you may remember, from the summer internship time, as being AMAZING) didn't win. Some female from Virginia did. Some...BROADCAST major...some enemy, in other words, of truth and beauty: by which we mean, paper and the horrible chemicals in printing ink.

---

And speaking of printing, The Daily A is installing a new printing press. This will mean that next week our normal schedule will be thrown off while the old press is taken out and the new erected in its place. I'm going to have several 5:30 mornings to help with proofing, but you all know how much I love ungodly morning hours. Mostly it means I get to put myself to bed at 7 each night. Another thing I desire above all other things. I mean it.

1 comment: