Monday, February 22, 2010

les trois mousquetaires



Bat-owl, made while watching "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind"

---

Long ago, when we were young, Liz gave me old copies of "The Three Musketeers" in scandalous three-volume-novel format. So each volume is its own separate bound book. I love it. I'm on volume 2 and the musketeers are such morons I can't believe my eyes, but I keep reading anyway. Besides, I love Athos. He's so badly-written and predictable and if Dumas didn't keep beating into my head in voluminous descriptions (via the musings of D'Artagnan) that Athos is taciturn and depressed I would never have figured it out.

My favorite part so far is: "So I found out she stole stuff, like plates or something, from the church so I hanged her from a tree." And D'Artangan murmurs sympathetically, "Well, I don't really see how you could have done anything else." And they call for more wine.

Once I'm done reading the English, I'm going to dig up my French copy and battle through it. I miss knowing another language and French satisfies a snobby, dramatic piece of my soul like nothing else.

So 1993 was a good year. Remember Chris O'Donnell and how he was supposed to be all dreamy and swoony? And Tim Curry and how he isn't? Ever. Watch this epic fight scene:

1993 Musketeers movie!!!!

Casting was obvious. Charlie Sheen, Oliver Platt and Kiefer Sutherland have always seemed to scream out "I am a 17th century French swordsman" to me.

My parents own this movie. I need to steal it next time I visit.

---

This week: early morning proofings, Fort Clatsop wanderings and meetings, Fisher Poets gathering, landscape assembling, cupcake eating, hamburger + beer buying

Oh goodness, you have no idea (NO IDEA) how much I wanted a hamburger last night--how much I want one now. It's a sign. My body demands protein.

I'm not really a vegetarian, I just don't go out of my way to prepare or consume meat. So I go along, all merry, until suddenly my body bellows, "FEED US MEAT." And I must obey.

5 comments:

  1. 1. I loved that movie in 1993
    2. your owl bat is awesome.
    3. hamburgers are gross

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey at least I didn't claim beef was gross. that's an improvement right?

    ReplyDelete