Friday, December 30, 2011

hobbitses, precious

In case you were worried, yes, everyone in Peter Jackson's "The Hobbit" will be speaking their lines in the epic-whispers-betokening-doom which are now standard in all fantasy or fantasy-style movies. I can't be sure, but I'm going to bet there will be a choir intoning in Latin at some point during a fight scene, followed quickly by a pregnant held note and slow-motion shots of a character charging the vast and yowling enemy hordes, wielding a sword, yelling and discovering his inner Viking.

I like the looks of Bilbo. Very fussy yet intrepid and he has a nice nose, too. However, Thorin (in the book: head dwarf, snobby leader-type, brimming over with history and capitalized place names) will be portrayed by a dark young sexy god who sings lilting Celtic-style verse in a fair baritone while turning the full force of his gypsy eyes on the camera. Fili and Kili -- also good-looking. Unsure how to feel about this. Galadriel, for reasons unknown, will make an appearance and tenderly brush hair away from (Sir) Ian McKellan's face. Gross, but bravery points for her. Good elf men must have been hard to come by in that particular Age.

I wish Peter Jackson was more entertaining, but he's not. He just runs around with pins deflating well-rounded characters and turning good stories into the equivalent of a 70's car chase with lots of lingering backward glances and shots of New Zealand. I can't forget what he did to Sam Gamgee, turning him into the token "fat kid" character and the plucky comedy relief... like Porky Pig in the "Drip Along Daffy" cartoon. Which you should watch:



But anyway. The preview, with its wide screen mountain vista shots, also reminded me of how much I want to go back to the North Cascades. I told M. I want to die and be buried there. He said that's probably because I haven't traveled much. The words of someone who has never been to the North Cascades, I say. I'm already planning next year's trip.

The mountains, Gandalf!

No comments:

Post a Comment