Monday, October 3, 2011

restauranteering

After a week of planning and planning to bring my camera to a friend's birthday camping trip, I (naturally) forgot it entirely until right when F. and I crossed into Washington and I woke up from my car-ride cat nap. But that's okay because I'm living like a person right now -- sleeping, eating meals, hanging out, hanging alone, hiking, working -- which is outstanding. Gold star. We'll not talk about how yesterday was basically a long nap interrupted with activities that required me to wake up for a couple hours here and there.

The new jobs are going well. I have to keep reminding myself that I'm only a week into this and that no one expects me to get it right away. I expect this though because I'm unrealistic and demanding. I closed quite a few nights last week and any remaining concept of myself in time was destroyed. (Reminder: I'm closing tonight too. Mental preparation)

It's definitely fall this side of the world. The cold and the wet are here and driving with an intensity that makes me think fall gets really bitter and has low self esteem, that fall is in fact a five-year-old child who hasn't found a constructive way to get the grumps out.

Hmmmmm what else?

Work dreams! So as crazy as it was to work at the newspaper, I rarely had work dreams. Maybe one every couple months. But with the restaurant job, to date, I have had at least one work dream every night. These dreams usually involve me needing to seat a lot of people. I feel on top of things until I look at the dining room and realize every single table is taken, that all the unseated people want window seats, and that dead whales are about to consume the restaurant. Then I usually need to wake up and go to the bathroom except I'm afraid to because all of those window grabby seat needers are standing outside my bedroom door waiting for me to show a sign of life so they can pounce on me and demand things. They also always ask me what the dinner special is and I can never remember (but that happens in real life too).

It's funny because I don't feel stressed out at work but the dreams, man oh man, screaming, weeping wreck by the end of them

No comments:

Post a Comment