I came to the coffee shop with "The Complete Stories of Flannery O'Connor" under my arm intending to read them. I didn't. Instead I read this: "Northern Gothic," by a woman whose writing I love and you should too.
STORY EXCERPT (to encourage you):
"Will sin persist without a captive audience?
'Course it will,' mutters Flannery O’Connor, 'there’s always sin, girl...'"
I still wonder who woke up and said, "Darling, I've had a vision. We must name our only child Flannery!" Mother or father? If Father: bad taste, sir. If Mother: you probably knew better but you also probably knew what you were about. Because they actually named her Mary Flannery O'Connor but that middle name was persuasive and had its way in the end, too much of a temptation for a mind bent towards writing. Nothing more is known of Mary, but we all know about Flannery.
I brought the book with me because I'm working on short stories and I'm bad at them. Or I lack the courage to create conflict and carry through to logical conclusions regarding illogical human behavior. Flannery, as the above story comments, has a lot of gall. Okay then, instruct, Flannery. I'm looking to you for a tip, or two (if you're feeling generous).
The story I'm working on currently is from a very real experience and I'm trying it out from the viewpoint of someone who is not me. It's a little awkward since I've suddenly realized I will not allow certain people to read it (certain people who were there, for instance). It's completely different from what happened, but I'm stealing things left and right. Things perhaps some people will not appreciate stolen. T says writers are thieves and bandits. Joan Didion said a writer is always selling someone out.
Monday, November 14, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment