Wednesday, May 19, 2010

electioneering

ELECTIONEERING. Yes, Like the Radiohead song. Listen for Thom's creepster background cackle. My favorite part.




---

Today's pap-ur: County elections are FINALLY a done deal. Check out all the times that rabbit was updated. I can't believe I spent three hours down at the JGB Building making phone calls to the newsroom, calling candidates as the official reports rolled out and watching people count ballots. I paced. There will, of course, be another story in today's edition, mostly a repeat of last night's story but with a few additional details.

I didn't expect to be so excited about the elections last night. It hit me all at once ten minutes before the first report came out. Wheeeee elections! All that build-up and now we'll have results. Being, as I am, an objective journalist-type person, I can only have small, internal opinions about the races. My joy primarily comes from getting to be nosy and in the middle of things.

It's great being a reporter. You get stuff. Not usually stuff other people would want, but great stuff if you're a slightly kleptomaniacal (new word), information addict, research nerd. Police reports, logs, arraignment dates, land use briefs, election reports, DATA!!!, maps of tax lots, photographs, mug shots, clippings from other publications, hand written thingamajigs.

---

After I got off election coverage (around midnight), I (typical) was all awake and unable to go to bed so I finished watching "Atonement."

Now...let's see. How do I say this in a way that's descriptive, informative and clever?

Boooooooo, Atonement, boooooo.

The end.

But not quite. It was a pretty movie and it was shot in a clever way with minimal dialogue. That, I've decided, is what I like about J. Wright (director)...now if only the dialogue that was in use had been useful. But let's not even talk about the movie proper since it was so horrible. Let's talk about how they shot it. There's a five minute pan of a Dunkirk scene that is lovely and the way music, conversations and background noises weave in and out and around each other: another thing I like about JW's films.

I think I might actually be able to finish the book now. Some books make me very tense. I have never skipped ahead to read the end of a book, even of a book I thought was stupid. I can't do it. As a result, I leave a lot of books unfinished because they stress me out too much...I know something bad is going to happen and if (for whatever reason) I can't plow through the bad, there's no way I'm going to skip it. YOU DO NOT SKIP PARTS OF BOOKS. Addendum: You do not skip parts of books unless you have read said book about 5 times.

So this all goes to say: Now that I know what cliffs the disasters jump off of (thank you, movie), I can now finish the novel, content in the imminent misery.

---

Well. Back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment