
I finally got around to editing the pictures I took circa Liz's wedding. They all look grainy and wobbly because we inhabited inadequately-lit spaces all three days and I hate using the flash because it's disruptive and also I don't like light. Or happiness, rainbows, unicorns, singing Irish maids?
Here's the main piece I wrote for yesterday paper. The doom-laden headline is only 1/16 accurate. "BLAAAAAAAAASTED!!!!" I like to imagine the city council leaping as one body atop the bench while the angry citizens rush forward jeering and rattling their pitchforks. But that never happens here.
In other news, there is something wrong with me. I've felt horrible the last few days. I'm not sure if it's sickness or sleep deprivation or an early onset of death. Thankfully, my week slows down a bit today so I should be able to come home and sleep for an absurd amount of time after I finish up proofing and water districting and observing in the morning and early afternoon.
Also, I've decided to start reading again. It seemed like a good idea.
1) "Silent Spring" Rachel Carson -- I expect this book to upset me because I'm always upset when I rediscover how careless we all are and that there are, in fact, more of us in the world than I realized and there is no Wilderness, but neither is there a Garden. And NOWHERE on this earth can one escape government regulations or people trying to influence government regulations, nor can you get more than one mile away from a county road. I used to be amused when our family would think about moving somewhere and Dad would stop at a potential house, get out of the car, and look with distaste at the trees: "Hmmmph. Not enough prairie." But I think I have some of that in me. Also, the hiking obsession, just like Dad. Get away get away get away from the babel. You never can though. This is another reason I love the ocean: it drowns out the noise of the highways and people like nothing else can.
2) "Lord Peter: The Complete Stories" Dorothy L. Sayers -- Lord Peter is better in novels than in short stories, but it's a big, long book so that's not my final judgment. It's true though that I'm enjoying the non-Lord Peter stories in this collection ever so much more than the Lord Peter front-and-center stories.
3) "The Day We Found the Universe" by Marcia Bartusiak -- Stars and, you know, stuff.
Katie my love! I miss you so much. I love the way you write, it always makes me laugh.
ReplyDeleteI hope you feel better soon.