who said boring people tell other people about their dreams. But I had this dream last night where I was at a local thrift store and was carrying a baby around and the baby was hyper intelligent and had the ability to cause me emotional damage with one damning look from his (indiscriminate color) eyes. And this baby was not mine. It belonged to someone else and the whole dream, people kept telling me that this other person was going to show up and I (for my part) spent the whole dream hoping he/she never did because, darn it, I was keeping that baby. I knew it would abandon me if it even got a whiff of another parent-figure. It was a disloyal baby. No fidelity whatsoever.
---
It's the weekend and I'm reading "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy who writes things like this: "Then they set out along the blacktop in the gun-metal light, shuffling through the ash, each the other's world entire." I want to leap around screaming about this sentence. What could be more simple and declarative and then (like the saucy minx he is) McCarthy switches what we expect by writing "world entire" instead of "entire world." Instead of sentiment, we get something that edges closer to...bones? The wages of truth? I don't even know what I'm talking about obviously, but such a simple thing and it makes his language remote, knowable and yet infinitely vast and frightening. He frightens me, literal chills.
Also, his career is based around a private war against punctuation. Commas scar his soul, I assume. Or, oh wait, he's modeling it off of James Joyce. I'll try not to make fun of this because the man is a god and he should model whatever he wants with impunity.
---
Goal for today, or goals:
1. Decorate the tiny, prickly Christmas tree B. slaughtered in the woods and dragged back to civilization for me. I have no ornaments and only an old string of blue lights which may or may not contain high levels of LEAD (poisoning), depending on what report you read.
2. Wash dishes.
We're going to repeat that goal again:
3. WASH DISHES
It's time to stop living like a hobo monkey and instead be more like the adult of a more graceful species.
Friday, December 10, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
this is about a (very) previous post. i like this sentence..
ReplyDeleteI love whatever misfiring in my brain caused me to be a journalist and approach so many things in life with a sick desire to KNOW and EXPERIENCE rather than be "emotionally involved with or about."
and i like the pics of beach/sunsets.