Friday, December 24, 2010

eves

I might have frightened the front desk people on my way out of the office this morning. I was yelling to no one in particular, "Ohmygoshohmygosh I'm gone from here FOREVERrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!"

I still don't really know what day it is and time has been confusing (for instance, I know it's day...like, not night...but whether we're going forward or backward is what I'm wondering and 5 a.m. looks a lot like 5 p.m. and who's to say there's any difference anyway? Who died and made you God? And who says we need to conform to modern calendar and clock systems? I'll go off the migratory patterns of the local elk herds from now on).

This is why: waterfront fire.

Regard:


Hmmmm. I was going to write about this, but my soul is starting to protest, sobs and gnashing of teeth (actual guh-nashing). Short version: I got the call after one hour of being asleep Thursday night. I didn't sleep again until 3 a.m. Saturday and then slept only for a couple hours before working the rest of the weekend and into this week. I thought my kidneys were going to explode on Tuesday so I bought yogurt and that's what I've been living off of for the last two days. And I was surrounded by either fire-related people or the Christmas naysayers of Astoria (i.e. the youth I've been befriending). And all I've done is type type type type FIRE type type type. I called the fire station after hearing a report of a chimney fire over the police radio.

"Did that turn out to be anything?" I asked the guy on duty. He'd been at the two big fires last week too and he laughed a little crazily and said, "No." And I laughed a little crazily and said, "Oh good."

But now I'm home and none of it matters and I bought a bottle of champagne and my breakfast this morning between getting off work and hitting the highway was olives, cheese and a swig of champagne. My heart went forward singing. No I did not drive while intoxicated.

Merry Christmas, my dears. If you get a chance, go check out the "2010: The Year in Pictures" at the New York Times website. Kind of breathtaking in so many ways. Make sure you go to full-screen mode or, yes, not so breathtaking. Mostly just difficult to see.

3 comments:

  1. Your link to "2010: The Year in Pictures" is broken due to a wayward quotation mark at the end of your link.

    Merry Christmas.

    James

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fixed it for you, James. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete