Sunday, April 17, 2011

#207 instrument

This is where all my free time and certainly a good stack of my money has gone recently. M. started calling it my boyfriend.



I felt a lot of guilty for casually laying it out on the carpet like this so I could take pictures. Yes, I am in love.... like Disney Cinderella singing "So this is love, mmmhhm mmhmm, so this is what makes life divine." And I do only play it while dressed up in a lot of gauze with a boomerang on my head:



But it's not that it's just pretty (although it is) and fits my arm-to-torso ratio quite nicely and sounds fantastic (it does)... It's that it also looks like this: (Hmmm. Don't know how well you can see. Bad photographer)



This guitar has been played and dinged up and carried around and loved. I like that best.

Yesterday, in a car, we were talking about houses because Marta and Matty were looking at houses to buy last week. The last house they looked at was a dirty little hole on a fantastic tract of land. The minute Marta set foot in the house, she wanted to leave, she said.

"I don't believe in spirits or anything like that, but there was something nasty and bad about this house," she said. By which she meant, Matty clarified, it was a place where someone had been hurt, molested, beaten. It had that feel.

I think about places we have left -- for all time, for a little while -- and how a house smells strange and musty when you come back from camping, how the yard has grown up and the blackberries have started to take over in a hostile way, how one time the faucet let loose a stream of brown water.

I think how hospital rooms will always be hospital rooms: places of blood and medicine, the stinking skins and bodies and wounds mixed with the smell of disinfectant, rubbing alcohol. Death and birth, different sorts of pain.

I think how we know when places and things have been loved and cared for, and conversely, when we are in a place of terrible actions. It must be something we can smell but could never name. Like how I know a crisis is coming between me and another person, but I only realize at the last minute that I know and have known for a long time. We pick up on so much and only a quarter of it we ever realize consciously.

No comments:

Post a Comment