Is it stupid of me to be excited about fall? The smells, the atmosphere. The memories, my goodness, floods of them, mostly school related. My childhood, again, I say, my goodness!
Slow down.
I should ask myself these questions:
1. What do I expect to be different about the fall?
Answer: Well. It will be colder.
2. Will rain patterns change?
Answer: No, they'll get worse. Two words: coastal storms. Two more words: gale winds. Three words: death by starvation. Culminating in one word: bleak.
3. So why be excited about fall and the oncoming winter of our discontent?
Answer: ...
...wait, I'm still thinking...
...hmmm...think think think...
Thanksgiving! Christmas! oh-my-gosh-this-chai-is-so-good! Do I even need more reasons? Just let me have my nostalgia, that's all I ask for. I'm taking -- oh wait, I'm sorry, did "Name" by Goo Goo Dolls just come on the radio in this coffee shop? I think it did. Wow, that was distracting. But, yes!, more nostalgia. Bring it on! Pile it! Heap it! Until it oozes.
I like how each season has its own feel and brings its whole "I'm new! Brand new! Buy me" with it. "Seasons?" scoff Oregonians. "What seasons?" But they're probably from out-of-town. Silly hipsters, Oregon has seasons sure as there's a nose on my face, it just takes a practiced...um...nose...to detect them.
The rain right now, as we near the end of September, is slightly brackish with faint undertones of something that reminds me of soccer (before I tore my quad), school (before I descended into the hellish, exhausting bowels of college), coffee houses in Eugene, things like bugs and plants dying, and the white room Tiffany and I lived in that first year. There's a kick in the air -- whiskey in coffee, perhaps. A sort of charged up current, something electric and brisk, but the light is mellower now and the water is even a different color, deeper and full of currents.
These little guys, however, takes all the joy out of the warmful-enclosedness: BED BUGS! Is anybody else as freaked out as I am that they're making a comeback? Did you know about this? The glorious bed bug revolution has dawned and we are just nurturing blood bags strewn along their paths to victory. We're those "healing" packs you see in video games. We'd like to think we're the soul-devouring mushrooms or the person with the really big knife. We're not. We're just breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Nations will fall before them. Businesses already are. Don't you read the news? There is no escape.
Bed bugs: Nasty and coming to a mattress near you. Hide your children, hide your wives. Etc.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
They gon fine you.
ReplyDeleteOregon has seasons! There's cold, bleak winter rain, warm rain watering new green growth, there's summer raint keeping the growth green, and there's fall rain which makes us want to do the whole book-with-warm-drink thing. We also have "Family-Camp-type weather" and non-Family-Camp-type weather."
ReplyDeleteThis is the best post ever.
ReplyDelete