I spent five minutes crouched at an open window in a dark bedroom this morning, clothed in only my bathrobe, camera in hand, taking pictures of 7-year old school children waiting for their bus. It occurred to me that this may be some sort of felony. So, in case the law comes after me (brief reminder of a Clash song: When they kick out your front door, how you gonna come? With your hands on your head or on the trigger of your gun?), this is why I took the photos: for the artistic purpose of observing humanity in all stages of its slog and struggle.
Here is what I saw in 7 year old school children:
Girl aligns herself to pavement marks, grabs shoulder of Boy who is ninja-moving dangerously in the bike lane. Both bounce around and race like ferrets up and down the sidewalk with the serious rituals so important to childhood. Childhood, where you can be anything, a dragon who wants ice cream, but you better not stand with your knees bent. That's JUST WRONG. The code must not be broken, but the code changes every minute. In some ways childhood is just a really cute fascist regime. And they are altogether too small to be put on a bus and released into the wild like this. Parenting is one of the single greatest acts of stupidity or courage or wild faith (depending on the parent). The end.
Item 1: I'm going to continue this blog. It makes me write regularly and lord knows we all need structure and ritual.
Item 2: The purpose of this blog will be to document projects and observations. I have grand plans for this year and, gosh-heck-darn it, I will be successful.
Item 3: Today's word is CACOPHONY. As in that Windsor for the Derby song:
All your hopes and dreams they rise and fall
Secretly
A cacophony
Yay. You're back! :-)
ReplyDelete